Another old Goan favourite of mine and an almost as popular companion to chilled beer as the ever popular Goa sausage chilli fry.
1. 1 kg beef cut into small cubes.
2. Crush 1" cinnamon and 10 cloves in a mortar or coffee grinder.
3. Add the crushed powder to the beef along with salt, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp pepper and two tsp of ginger/garlic paste. Mix well and let marinate for an hour.
4. Clean and wash a bunch of coriander (cilantro) and 5 green chillies.
5. Soak 1 tsp tamarind concentrate in 1/2 cup hot water.
6. Grind the coriander and chillies with the tamarind "sauce". Remember to remove any tamarind shells or seeds before grinding.
7. Sauté 2 chopped onions and when they start to change colour, add in Thai red chillies and curry leaves to the mix. I use the Red chilies in order to add colour to the dish. You can use green chilies if you prefer.
8. Add in the marinated meat after a couple more minutes.
9. Let the meat cook until the juices are almost dry and then add 1/2 cup of diced tomatoes.
10. After a couple of minutes, add the cubed potatoes.
11. Next you add the coriander and chilli sauce.
12. Mix it well, and then cover and cook on low heat until the meat and potatoes are cooked through.
13. Garnish with some fresh chopped cilantro before serving with warm bread or rice. Enjoy!!