My favorite variant of pulao, Goan choris make everything better.
1. Use a scissor and cut the skin covering the sausages and remove the meat and set aside.
2. Wash the rice in cold water and set aside.
3. In a pot add a tablespoon of oil. Add the chopped onion and saute till the oil is translucent but not brown. Add the tomato next and saute till the tomato is orange.
4. Add the cloves, peppercorns, mace, bay leaves and saute for a minute. Let all the ingredients form a paste like texture. Then add the rice to the mix and add the four cups of water. Add salt as per taste.
5. Let the rice come to boil. Add the sausage to the mix. Let the rice cook for 10 minutes. Add turmeric for color. Let the rice cook till all the water evaporates. The rice will appear glossy, when it is ready.