Folks of Coastal Andhra Pradesh love the Gongura(sorrel leaves) pickle.This is a new spin to the traditional Pulihora(Tamarind Rice) with Sorrel Leaves.
1. Heat 2 tsp oil in a wide bottom non-stick pan, and add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, green chilies and red chilies and fry till golden brown
2. Add the gongura leaves and fry until soft and roasted. Let it cool completely.
3. Roast the coriander and sesame seeds and keep aside allowing it to cool.
4. Grind the gongura mixture with the coriander and sesame seeds, tamarind, turmeric and salt into a smooth paste (Do not add any water).
5. Take the cooked and cooled rice in a bowl and spread without any lumps. Take some oil in your palm and toss the rice with the oil.
6. Add the ground paste to the rice and mix with hand gently so that you don't mash the rice.
7. Heat 3 tablespoon oil in a large pan and add urad dal, channa dal. Roast it a little.
8. Splutter mustard seeds and jeera.
9. Add peanuts, asafoetida and curry leaves and roast until peanuts lightly browned.
10. Pour the tempering over cooled rice and mix thoroughly. Let it sit for 1 hour before serving so that the rice will seep in the flavors.