Hash browns, a common American breakfast, made with potatoes, fried to crispy goodness.
1. Peel the potatoes and grate them.
2. Squeeze out as much water as possible from the potatoes using a muslin cloth. The drier the potatoes, the crispier the hash browns will be. Make sure you do these steps quickly or the potatoes will start browning.
3. Heat half the oil in a pan. Place the potatoes into the pan as shown. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. You could also mix the salt and pepper in the potatoes before putting them on the pan.
4. Drizzle a little oil on top as well. Let the potatoes cook for 15 minutes on a medium flame. Do not touch them, that is the trick to make them crispy. After 15 minutes flip and cook the other side for another 10 minutes. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on the other side too.
5. Serve these crispy hash browns hot with eggs or ketchup.