Mango and coconut, two of Goa's favorite fruits come together in a sweet barfi.
- Cuisine Indian
- Course Desserts
- Serves 18
- Method Slow-cook
- Difficulty Hard
- Cook Time 1 hour(s) 15 minute(s)
1. Heat ghee in a pan. Try not to use a non stick pan for making this barfi. Add in the mawa or milk powder and roast for 3 minutes or so.
2. Add milk and mango pulp.
3. Mix everything well. Add brown sugar and a pinch of salt. Stir continuously for 20 minutes on a low flame.
4. After 20 minutes add cardamom powder, Continue stirring for another 15 minutes on a low flame. Next add in the dry coconut.
5. Continue stirring for another 20 minutes or so, until the mixture thickens up. It should separate from the bottom as shown below. Switch the gas off. Add a few drops of ghee and spread on an 8 inch circular pan.
6. Transfer the contents of the greased pan. Sprinkle chopped pistachios on top of the barfi. Let it cool to room temperature. Then place it in the refrigerator for 2 hours to set. Cut into 2 inch pieces and enjoy.