Tamil style Egg cooked in a spicy pepper sauce
1. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan and add red chilly, peppercorns, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, methi seeds, toor dal roast this for 4 minutes.
2. Add curry leaves and let splutter and switch off the flame and let it cool
3. Blend the and let it cool down, transfer them into blender and make a powder.
4. Heat remaining oil in a pan add curry leaves and garlic and let it splutter,saute until garlic is very lightly browned.
5. Add onions ,salt and turmeric and saute until translucent.
6. Add the ground spice powder, add 2 cups of water and let cook for 3-4 minutes.
7. Add the tamarind paste, jaggery and cook for 5 more minutes.
8. Slice the eggs in half and add them to the sauce and baste them with the sauce(Basting means taking the sauce and pouring over the eggs repeatedly to infuse flavor) let it cook for 3 minutes and switch off the flame.The flavor builds over time, give it 2-3 hours for the flavors to build well before serving.Serve with Rice.This recipe yields a spicy sauce,if you do not each spice reduce red chili and peppercorns to your taste.You can also add yogurt or tomato to reduce the spice in the sauce.