This Udipi Style rasam is a lentil and tamarind based stew gently spiced and tempered with a touch of sweetness
1. Blend the toor dal, green chili and tomato to a puree and start heating the puree in a pan.Add 3 cups water, tamarind paste, salt and bring to a boil.
2. Add jaggery, rasam powder and continue cooking.
3. In a different pan heat the oil/ghee add mustard seeds and let splutter, add the red chili and urad dal and curry leaves and let splutter.
4. Turn the heat to low and add asafoetida, fenugreek powder, turmeric powder and coconut and saute for 1 minute.Switch off the flame
5. Add the tempering to the boiling rasam. Let cook for 2 minutes and turn off the flame. Garnish with Cilantro.Adjust spices to your taste.You can add more jaggery for sweetness and tamarind paste for tanginess.