A pure vegetarian version of stuffed eggplant.
1. Wash the eggplants well in cold running water, pat dry. Then make slits as shows in the picture.
2. Add all the spices(except chili powder), coconut, jaggery and tamarind to a grinder and grind coarsely using as little water as possible. Reduce the spice levels as desired. Add salt to taste.
3. Gently stuff the mixture in the eggplants. You should have some extra stuffing left.
4. Heat oil in a thick bottom pan. Add the remaining stuffing.
5. Saute in the oil until dry. Clean out the bowl grinder used for the stuffing with half a cup of water and add that water to the pan to make a gravy. You may skip this step of adding extra water if you like your final dish dry.
6. Add 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, mix well. Check salt level. Add more if needed.
7. Gently place the stuffed eggplant in the gravy, and close with a lid. Cook on medium flame for 10 minutes. Then flip gently on the sides, and cook another 10 minutes on low-medium flame. The eggplant itself should be full cooked by this time. You may simmer longer if you wish to have a dryer version of the dish. Likewise, you may need to cook for a lesser time to prevent charring the dish. So keep a close eye.
8. Garnish with coriander and serve hot with phulkas/chapatis/roti !