The much favored vegetable in India-okra, cooked in simple spices
1. Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds and let them splutter, add the chana dal and urad dal and let brown lightly.
2. Add the cumin seeds and the curry leaves and let splutter.
3. Add the onion and garlic, turmeric and salt and saute for 3-4 minutes or until translucent.
4. Add the okra and saute for a 2 minutes on high flame.Squeeze half a lemon and stir.Turn down the heat to medium-low and cover with lid and let cook for about 20 minutes stirring in between to prevent burning.
5. When the okra is soft(it will turn color) evenly sprinkle the red chili powder and groundnut powder and gently mix and let cook for 2 more minutes and switch off the stove.In step 4,if you want to remove the sliminess of the okra you can add yogurt, lemon juice,tamarind paste, dried mango powder(amchur), kokum or some flour.Cook on a lower flame or your okra will get smashed by the time they get cooked. Do not stir too much.This can be served with rice or roti.