Karyatyachi Kismur is a bitter spicy tangy vegetarian version of kismur made with bitter-gourd instead of dry fish. It is usually served as a side dish with a Hindu Goan vegetarian meal.
1. Wash the bitter gourds. Scrap the outside lightly. Remove the seeds. Cut into very fine pieces or use a food processor to cut the bitter gourds.
2. To this add 2 teaspoons of salt and juice of 1 1/2 lemon.Mix well. Set this aside for at least 20 minutes. This step will help to remove the bitterness of the karela.
3. After 20 minutes, squeeze as much water as possible out of the bitter gourd. Add this to a pan with 1 tablespoon coconut oil.
4. Fry this mixture till most of the moisture evaporates and it begins to turn brown. Set this aside. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and add the onion to it. Add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook the onion till translucent.
5. Add the turmeric and chili powder. Also add the coconut and tamarind paste.
6. Mix everything well and cook for around 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Now add the fried bitter gourd. Mix well. Also add the coriander leaves.
7. Mix everything well. Turn off the flame. Enjoy with a Goan vegetarian thali.