This Ven Pongal is a quick breakfast fix and one of the main dishes prepared for pongal festival celebrated in parts on India.
1. In a bowl, put 1 tsp ghee and add the moong dal. Fry until you can smell the aroma and it starts to change color.
2. In the meanwhile, wash the rice and add it to the moong dal. Now add water. I added about 4 cups water. As you really need the pongal to be cooked nicely, add more water than you would usually add. Cook it without the lid. You can also pressure cook it but I prefer to cook it this way.
3. Cut the ginger into tiny pieces. Add the ginger salt and asafetida. Let the rice cook well. After it is well cooked smash the rice a bit with a spatula.
4. In a pan, add the ghee, jeera, pepper, asafetida, curry leaves and cashews. In that order so you don't burn anything. Fry for a min and make sure not to burn anything.
5. Transfer it to the rice. You can add some freshly crushed pepper now just to add some flavor. Serve it hot with chutney or sambar or you can eat it just like that.