A delicious andhra stir fry with Cabbage and Coconut, also known as poriyal,vepudu,thoran etc..
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add Chana Dal and Urad Dal and roast them until they are light brown.
2. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and fry till the seeds splutter. Add the chopped curry leaves and garlic and fry well.
3. Add the cabbage, turmeric powder and salt and mix once.
4. Cover with lid and let it cook stirring every 2-3 minutes on a low-medium flame.
5. Once the cabbage is cooked, add red chili powder, grated coconut and stir for 2-3 minutes and turn off the stove.This is a wonderful accompaniment with rice or roti. Fresh cabbage has a lot of water content in it, so if cooked with lid on the water should be sufficient to cook it through. If your cabbage is stale it would have relatively less water in which case you might need to add few drops and cook the cabbage. You can also add some ground peanuts or small pieces of cashews for that extra crunch.