Chanyaachi Usli is a quick easy pure vegetarian recipe made with vatana. It is usually eaten during fasts in Goan Hindu households.
1. Soak 1 cup vatana overnight. Next day, rinse well. Add water to just cover the vatana. Cook till soft. If you prefer you can pressure cook as well, just make sure it doesn't get too mushy.
2. In a pan dry roast cinnamon stick, black pepper corns and cloves.
3. Make a powder of the roasted spices. Also dry roast the green chili and then cut into into 4 pieces.
4. Once the vatana is done, heat oil in a tadka pan. Add asafetida and mustard seeds. Once the seeds splutter, add in the curry leaves.
5. Add the tadka to the fully cooked vatana. Next, add in the desicated coconut, green chilies and spice powder. Mix well.
6. Last add in the jaggery. Mix well. Enjoy hot with chapati.