Traditional, tangy goan green fried chicken served with wheat bread (Poey). A dry version can also be served as an appetizer.
- Cuisine Goan
- Course Appetizers
- Serves 6
- Method Stovetop
- Difficulty Easy
- Cook Time 4 hour(s) 30 minute(s)
1. Make a paste of ginger, garlic, green chilies, pepper powder, cloves, green coriander, 2 onions, cashew nuts, tamrind, poppy seeds, cumin seeds and garam masala powder.
2. Apply turmeric, salt, lemon to the chicken and then add the green blended paste and marinate for a minimum of 2 hours.
3. Pour oil in the frying pan on medium flame and fry the chicken on either sides, in a covered pan, this should take 10 to 15 minutes per batch, you should have 2 to 3 batches.
4. Move the left over gravy from the marinade to a pot, add some water, rum, vinegar, sugar, bring to boil for a couple of minutes, then add fried chicken, stir and heat for 8 - 10 minutes on medium flame in a covered pot.
5. Switch off the heat and Garnish with capsicum, sliced onion and cover the pot, the steam will cook and soften the capsicum and onion.
6. Serve hot with a quarter cut lime and Goan wheat bread - Poey.