This was a special treat on Sundays at my home growing up. the chicken can be replaced by shrimp or removed to make a vegetarian fried rice.
1. Cut all the vegetables.
2. In a pan, add oil and heat. Then add each vegetable (carrots first as they take the longest to cook) and chicken separately and stir fry.
3. Stir fry the mushrooms.
4. Add some oil to the pan and scramble the eggs.
5. Put all the fried vegetables in a pan and add all the sauces and pepper.
6. In a pan first, add a layer of white rice and then the vegetables and chicken mix.
7. Add another layer of rice and sprinkle some ketchup and soy sauce.
8. The layering helps to mix ingredients evenly.