Potatoes deep fried and cooked with Kashmiri authentic spices, served with rice.
- Cuisine Kashmiri
- Course Main Course
- Serves 4
- Method Deep-fry
- Difficulty Easy
- Cook Time 2 hour(s) 30 minute(s)
1. Put whole potatoes and water in a pan and let them boil. Pour enough water to cover the potatoes. After 5-7 minutes check in between with the help of a folk whether potatoes are boiled well inside as well as outside. The potatoes should not be over boiled(they should not break when you take them out after boiling or touch them). For saving time, use medium size or small size potatoes.
2. After the potatoes are boiled well, take them out in any container and peel off the skin(after taking them out of water, wait for 5 minutes so that the potatoes get a little bit cool). Pour oil in a pan and let it heat on medium flame only.
3. Now pierce each potato inside-out from different sides with the help of a crochet hook(its size should be c/2-2.75mm). It is not necessary to pierce it with crochet hook only. You can use any other thing also for piercing but the size should be as mentioned above. If the potatoes are larger in size, 20-25 piercings are to be done from different sides and if the potatoes are smaller in size, 10-15 piercings are to be done from different sides. Put the pierced potatoes in oil and turn the flame on low to medium flame. Generally it takes 40-50 minutes to fry them well inside-out.
4. Potatoes are cooked well, take them out in a container. Pierce each potato again in the same manner. In the same pan, take out excess oil and just keep 3-4 teaspoons of oil. Turn the flame on medium to high flame and put cardamoms, cinnamon sticks and cloves in oil and let them roast well for 15 seconds. Turn the flame to medium flame.
5. Put red chili powder in oil and roast it well for 1/2 minute. After that, put ginger powder and roast it also for 1/2 minute. Then put fennel powder(saunf powder) and roast it well also. Put yogurt in a bowl and beat it well. Pour the yogurt in roasted spices with one hand and simultaneously with other hand keep on stirring continuously for 2-3 minutes.
6. Pour 1/4 cup of water in gravy and add salt to it. Boil the gravy for 2 minutes and put the fried potatoes in gravy.
7. Now add left over water to potatoes. Turn the flame on low to medium flame and cover the pan with lid(if there is any space for steam to escape, cover it with paper or dough or anything else). Keep it as it is for next 15 minutes.
8. After 15 minutes, turn off the flame and open the lid. Dumaloo are ready to serve.