A world famous food prepared during ramzan season. This is a slow cooked stew made with meat and lentils.
1. Marinade the chicken in turmeric, ginger garlic paste, salt and chili powder overnight in the refrigerator.
2. In a pan heat 1 tablespoon of ghee and add the spices and saute until aroma starts coming(do not burn).
3. Grind the ingredients to a powder along with rose petals.
4. Coarsely grind all the soaked grains.
5. In a slow cooker add 1 tablespoon of ghee and add half the spice powder,salt and the coarsely ground grains and slow cook for 2 hours.
6. Meanwhile In a pressure cooker add 1 tablespoon ghee and add the onions and green chili and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for 1 minute on medium flame.
7. Add the chicken and half the spice powder and saute for 4-5 minutes and add 1 cups water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
8. After the grain is cooked,In a large saucepan take the cooked chicken and the cooked grains and simmer on low-medium flame for half an hour, stirring and mashing in between.Remove bones while mashing.Adjust salt and add red chili powder if more spice is desired.Serve the haleem topped with fried onions and half of a soft boiled egg and squeeze lemon juice on top.Traditional Hyderabadi Haleem uses much more ghee.Feel free to add more if you like.