Bitter gourd or karela is a very good vegetable for diabetes. Here is a recipe that will leave you asking for more of this vegetable.
1. Wash, pat dry and cut the bitter gourd into small pieces. Add salt and set aside for at least 2 hours. This will help to remove the bitterness.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add the asafetida and split mustard seeds.
3. Cook till the mustard seeds turn slightly brown. Add the ginger. Add in the bitter gourd pieces, after squeezing excess salt water.
4. Add in the turmeric and red chili powder. Stir and add in the lemon juice.
5. Cook stirring occasionally until the bitter gourd is cooked well and the oil separates.