This lightly spiced healthy rice recipe is made with palak/ spinach and a blend of other Indian spices.
- Cuisine North Indian
- Course Main Course
- Serves 15
- Method Stovetop
- Difficulty Hard
- Cook Time 1 hour(s)
1. Keep water to boil rice. In the water and add 2 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom pods. Bring the water to a boil. Add 2.5 cups of washed basmati rice. Cook till half done. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large vessel, heat ghee. Add remaining cumin seeds and ginger garlic paste. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add in the cashews next.
3. Next add in turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, cumin seed powder and red chili powder. Saute for a couple minutes. Next add in spinach paste. To make the paste, put spinach in a mixture with minimum amount of water and make into a paste. 1.5 pounds spinach yields approx 5 cups of paste.
4. Add tamarind and remaining amount of salt.
5. Add in raisins. Stir continuously till some of the water evaporates. Add in the drained rice.
6. Mix well. Garnish with fried onions before serving.