A telangana snack made to celebrate the harvest festival of AndhraPradesh,Sankranthi
1. Soak rice for 6 hours, drain the water and let dry for 4 hours.
2. Now grind the rice into a fine powder, it will look like rice flour with no grit.
3. Add the sesame seeds, carrom seeds, salt, warm oil and minced green chili and mix.
4. Add about 200 ml of water(more if needed) and make a dough. The consistency of the dough should be such that when you let it loose between your fingers it should slowly flow.
5. Spread a clean cloth or bedsheet on a counter. Take a lemon sized dough in the hand and gently with your fingers start releasing the dough in a fine tube, simultaneously twisting it and make concentric circles. Repeat until all dough is complete. Let rest and dry for 2 hours.
6. Heat oil in a pan. Take a flat cardboard or a pan and slide the sakinam from the cloth to the plate. Gently slide it into the oil.
7. Let them fry until they turn beige.Drain on a paper towel.These can be served with any red pickle or chutney.These stay up-to a month in an airtight container.The process of making the sakinam in circles is tough and time taking, this is the first time I'm making it too. Only attempt these when you have lot of patience and time. If you dry them too less or for too much time they will be redder in color,it doesn't affect the taste though. Mine did get a little darker than Id like.