An easy slow-cook style flavorful soup made from ripe tomatoes, carrots and fresh basil leaves
1. Place a pan on low heat and pour olive oil in it and let it heat.
2. Add the onions, carrots and celery to saute for about 5 minutes till it is soft.
3. Add minced garlic and red peppers to saute for one more minute
4. Remove from stove,let it cool and grind the vegetables to a puree.
5. In the same pan take the ripe tomatoes( I used cherry tomatoes because they were the only ones i found that were ripe enough), add 1 teaspoon of oregano and saute until tomatoes are soft and start leaving juices.
6. Add the basil(and green chili if you like it spicier) and saute till soft.Place the tomatoes and basil into a food processor or a grinder until no big pieces are left.
7. Pour all of the tomato puree and vegetable mixture in a slow cooker, add 2 cups of vegetable/chicken broth, sugar, salt and pepper, Stir and slow cook for 2 hours. Slow cooking will make the flavors from the vegetables develop. If you don't have a slow cooker, cook on stove-top on very low flame for about 45 minutes.
8. After 2 hours open the cooker,taste and adjust your salt or pepper and serve.You can have this soup as is or if you prefer a finer texture run it through a strainer or juicer.Add cream if you like a creamier soup.This soup goes well with a piece of toasted bread or grilled cheese sandwich or croutons on the top.