Flan is a creamy silky Spanish dessert similar to caramel custard.
- Cuisine Latin
- Course Desserts
- Serves 10
- Method Bake
- Difficulty Hard
- Cook Time 1 hour(s) 20 minute(s)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a mixer, break the eggs. Add in vanilla extract and the condensed milk.
2. Add in the milk and heavy cream as well. If you don't have cream just add another cup of milk. Blend everything well. This is your custard for the flan.
3. In a non stick pan pour the sugar. One it starts caramelizing, swirl the pan around for even caramelization. Pour in a 12 inch circular baking bowl or a 9x12 inch rectangular baking pan. You can also make individual cups. Just make sure the glassware is safe to be used in the oven. Swirl the bowl to make sure the caramel coats the bottom evenly.
4. Pour the custard over the caramel. Place this bowl in a larger bowl. Add hot water to the outer bowl to fill it about an inch. This is called a water bath and ensures even cooking.
5. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until done in the middle rack of the oven. Let the flan cool to room temperature. Then refrigerate it overnight. Run a knife through the edge.
6. Place a wide plate on top. Hold two ends of the plate and bowl and turn it. Make sure the plate is pretty wide if not you will lose all the caramel liquid. You can serve it in individual bowls as well topped with brown sugar or fruit. Enjoy!