Aankur, which translates to sprouts, is a seasonal vegetable found in Goa which grows along the banks of a river. Here is a coconut based gravy of this delicious vegetable, enhanced with prawns.
1. Soak the vatana overnight in water. Next day, rinse them. Wash the aankur thoroughly.
2. Chop the aankur finely. In a pot add the vatana and 3 cups of water along with the one cup of chopped onion. Cook till the vatana is half done.
3. Next add the aankur, salt and prawns and boil till the vatana is well done. I used rock salt for this recipe. However, you can use any other salt per your taste.
4. While the vatana is cooking, in a separate pan heat oil and add the diced onion. Once the onion begins to brown add in the coconut and saute till it begins to turn brown.
5. Add the garam masala and turmeric and saute for a minute. Turn the gas off and let this mixture cool.
6. Once cool, add this onion coconut mixture to the mixer and grind into a coarse paste adding water as needed. Once the vatana is done, add this paste to the boiling mixture.
7. Add the ball of tamarind. Mix well and let it come to a boil. Enjoy with chapati or bread.