The famous Batter fried potato balls, served hot with bread and tea.
1. Peel potatoes and Cook potatoes into the Pressure cooker for 3 whistles, once all the steam has escaped, mash and keep aside half. This should take 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Grind green chilies, garlic and ginger together to make a fine paste.
3. Heat 3 tbs oil in a pan on low and fry mustard seeds and curry leaves until the mustard crackles. Later add garlic, ginger and chillie paste to the pan, mix for a minute and add mash potato, 1/2 tbs turmeric powder, lime juice, salt to taste and coriander leaves (optional), combine well for a couple of minutes. Take off heat to cool.
4. Take another bowl and combine Gram Flour (Besan), salt, cumin seeds, red chilli powder, 1/2 tbs turmeric powder and little water to make a thick batter.
5. Make small balls from the potato mixture and dip each ball in the batter.
6. Deep fry until golden brown and keep on paper towel to soak the excess oil.
7. Serve hot batata vada with chutney or tomato ketchup or as a sandwich bread 1/2 Batata Vada paw.