Cauliflower and white peas cooked in a coconut based gravy. Eaten with Goan pav or bread, this is a staple vegetarian dish in every Hindu Goan household.
- Cuisine Goan
- Course Main Course
- Serves 8
- Method Pressure Cooker
- Difficulty Hard
- Cook Time 1 hour(s) 15 minute(s)
1. Soak 1 cup of white peas (vatana) for at least 30 minutes in 2.5 cups of water. In the mean time prep the other other ingredients to save time.
2. Pressure cook the white peas with the same water in which they were soaked and cook till 5 cooker whistles.
3. In a pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil and fry the sliced onion till slightly brown. Add the coconut next and saute for a couple of minutes.
4. Add turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder and saute for a couple minutes more.
5. Cool the mixture and once cool put it in a blender. Add 1 cup of water and blend into a fine paste.
6. In a cooking pan heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add hing and curry leaves.
7. Add in the pressure cooked white peas. Next add in the cauliflower and salt.
8. Cover and let the cauliflower half cook. Once half cooked add in the large diced tomatoes. Do not mix the tomatoes in. Let them cook in the steam.
9. Add in the paste, stir and let it cook till the cauliflower is done.
10. Add freshly chopped coriander and stir. Serve hot with rice or bread.