Chanya ros is a tradition Goan dish cooked mostly during religious functions, made with vatanas in a coconut based gravy.
- Cuisine Goan
- Course Main Course
- Serves 10
- Method Pressure Cooker
- Difficulty Hard
- Cook Time 1 hour(s)
1. Soak vatana overnight. Pressure cook the vatana with 1 teaspoon salt for 1 whistle.
2. Add oil in a pan, add the coconut. Saute for a coupe of minutes then add garam masala, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt. Saute for a couple minutes more.
3. Make a paste. Heat ghee and add asafetida to it.
4. Add mustard seeds and cook till the splutter. Add green chilies and curry leaves.
5. Add in the potatoes and cook. Add in the vatana.
6. Add in the paste, red chili powder and jaggery. Add water according to the consistency you need.
7. Add in the tomatoes. Bring to a boil and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with pooris.