This spicy, sweet, tangy crab preparation is my Dad's recipe and one of my favorites!
1. Apply 2 teaspoons of salt to the crabs and set aside. In a mixer take red chilies (kashmiri and spicy dry), green chilies, ginger, garlic, cumin seeds, black pepper corn, turmeric powder, cloves and cinnamon.
2. Add vinegar and jaggery. Blend into a fine paste, adding water if needed.
3. In a pan heat oil. Add in the onion and saute till it turns translucent. Add in the masala and saute for a few minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, remaining salt and cook them well.
5. Add in the crabs. Mix everything well, cover and cook till it comes to a boil. Enjoy hot with pao or rice.