Kadai Chicken is a famous mildly spicy Indian curry. Here is a recipe so you can make this restaurant style curry at home.
- Cuisine North Indian
- Course Main Course
- Serves 5
- Method Slow-cook
- Difficulty Hard
- Cook Time 2 hour(s)
1. Wash the chicken. Add 1 teaspoon each of salt and turmeric powder and add 1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste. Set aside to marinate for at least 20 minutes. Heat 1/4 teaspoon of oil in a pan and saute the diced capsicum with a pinch of salt until you get a char on them. Set side. Take cardamom, cumin, coriander seeds, cinnamon, black pepper, mace and cloves and grind into a coarse powder. This is your masala.
2. Heat the remaining oil in a kadai. Add bay leaves, 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste, julienne ginger and slit green chilies. Saute for a few minutes. Once done add in the finely chopped onion. Let the onion brown slightly. Do not rush this step.
3. Once it begins to brown add in the kashmiri chili powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon each of coriander and cumin powder. Mix well. Next add in the coarsely ground masala. Saute for a few minutes.
4. Add the pureed tomatoes next. Cook for at least 10 minutes. Next reduce the flame and add in the marinated chicken.Mix well, cover and let the chicken cook. Stir occasionally. I have used drumsticks for this recipe which take a little longer to cook. You can substitute with same amount of chicken thighs or whole chicken to reduce the cooking time.
5. To make cashew paste, soak the cashews in 5 tablespoons of water for at least 15 minutes. Make a smooth paste in a mixer. Once the chicken is half cooked, add in this paste to the curry. Mix well, cover and continue cooking till the chicken is done. Add in the kasuri methi along with 1 teaspoon of sugar once the chicken is done.
6. Also add in the capsicum. Mix everything well. Check for seasoning at this point and add more salt if needed. You can add coriander for garnishing if you like. Serve with naan or roti.