Kaju Biyaam Tondak is a mild spicy coconut based gravy. Traditionally made with "bibe" or raw cashew nuts, this is a popular dish on the menu at Goan Hindu weddings.
1. Soak the cashews in water for at least 2 hours. After 2 hours, drain the water and keep the cashews aside. If you have fresh cashews/bibe, you can skip this step. Ensure that you peel the bibe. In a pan heat oil. Add in all the dry garam masala. Saute for 2 minutes.
2. Add in sliced onions along with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. This will speed up the cooking process. Cook till the onions begin to brown. Add in the coconut next. Saute for at least 7 minutes.
3. Next, add in turmeric and chili powder. Mix well and turn the flame off. Let the mixture cool and come to room temperature.
4. Grind this mixture into a fine paste using 2 cups of water. Next, boil the cashews in one cup of water and 1 teaspoon of salt. This will help them cook and bring out their flavors.
5. Now add the ground masala. Add the tamarind.
6. Add the bouillon cube (you can use the vegetarian one as well or any flavor of your choice) as well. Add the coriander leaves. Cover and let it come to a boil. You can add more water if you want more gravy. Enjoy with bread, chapati, poori or rice.