Goans love their neureos. Ganesh Chaturthi or Christmas, no festival is complete without this sweet crispy fried dessert.
1. Toast the groundnuts, remove the peels and powder the groundnuts. Powder the cashew nuts as well. The powder should be fine.
2. Dry roast the poppy seeds until they change color to light brown.
3. Place the sesame seeds in a strainer. Wash under running water. Dry roast on a hot pan until they start to splutter.
4. Place all the items in a mixing bowl, along with sugar and coconut powder.
5. Add in cardamom powder as well. Mix well. Set this mixture aside. This is your filling.
6. To make the dough, take all purpose flour, add salt and water. Knead into a firm dough.
7. Make small balls out of the dough. Roll the dough into a thin circle.
8. Place the filling on half of the side rolled circle. Dip your finger in water and run it around half the side. This will help secure the neuri and prevent it from opening. Fold the neureos as shown below.
9. Heat oil in the mean time. Once hot add in the neureos and fry till golden brown on both sides.
10. Remove the neureos on a paper towel to soak the extra oil. Share with your loved ones and enjoy!