Clams with shell on cooked in a coconut based gravy. This dish is served as an accompaniment in a full Goan meal. Everyone has a different way of making this famous dish, here is my version.
1. Wash the clams thoroughly to remove any dirt. Open the clams and move the meat to one shell and toss the other shell away. In Goa, clams are cleaned on "aadoli" a special kitchen tool used in most houses instead of knife. You can put the clams in the freezer for an hour and they will open up easily.
2. Dry roast the coriander seeds, pepper corns and green chilies. Once the chilies are charred, transfer the contents in to a mixer.
3. Heat coconut oil. Once hot add in half of the chopped onions and saute till translucent.
4. Add in the coconut and saute till slightly brown. Then add in the turmeric, garam masala and chili powder and saute.
5. Cool the mixture and transfer into the same mixer with the green chilies. Make a coarse paste with 1/2 cup water and set aside.
6. In a vessel ,bring the clams, 1/2 cup water and the remaining onion to a boil. Once it comes to a boil add in the paste.
7. Add salt and kokum, stir and let the curry come to a boil. Stir the mixture occasionally.
8. Add in the freshly chopped coriander just before turning the heat off and give one last stir.
9. Enjoy hot!