Zunka is a signature marathi dish usually served with bhakri. It is made with chickpea flour and is very healthy.
- Cuisine Maharashtrian
- Course Main Course
- Serves 8
- Method Slow-cook
- Difficulty Hard
- Cook Time 30 minutes
1. Heat oil. Once hot add asafetida and mustard seeds. Let the seeds splutter. Add in the curry leaves.
2. Next, add in the ginger garlic chili paste and saute for a while. To make this paste take equal quantity of ginger, garlic and green chilies and grind in a mixture into a course paste. Next, add in the onion and cook till translucent.
3. Now add the chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and garam masala powder and saute for a while. To this add the besan. You can sieve the besan first to remove any lumps.
4. Mix everything well. Now reduce the flame to a slow simmer. Sprinkle a little water and keep stirring the mixture. Repeat this step till the besan is cooked. It should not be watery. I used around 1/2 cup of water. You can cover it each time you sprinkle water to let it cook in its own steam.
5. Garnish with coriander leaves.
6. Zunka is ready. Enjoy hot with bhakri.